Location

The Last Great Estate in Providence

Occupying nearly an entire city block in Providence's coveted Blackstone neighborhood, the Brigham Estate is described in the listing as the "last great estate in Providence," and has a price to match, at $9.5M. The sprawling estate was completed in 1915 for Rhode Island School of Design professor William E. Brigham and his wife Clara, who had inherited a substantial fortune. The pair spent plenty of it on this knockout of an estate, enlisting Eleazer B Homer, the first director of the Rhode Island School of Design, to design the Tuscan-inspired main house. Today, it features just four bedrooms and 4.5 baths over 9,424 square feet, with the rest turned over to gracious entertaining spaces and what appear to be former studio spaces for the original owners, who were both artists. The extensive gardens are impeccibly groomed, keeping to traditions established by the Brighams. When the current owners acquired the estate in the 1960s, there were no fewer than 15 gardeners working full time to maintain the immaculate grounds. Those owners are looking for a buyer for whom money is no object, as evidenced by the price hike in July 2011 from $5.5M to the current $9.5M.

Broker and Co-owner of Penrose Realty as well as Penrose PM&D